This entry attempts to summarize, in point form, the various topics related to basic CSS web design I have written in the first two years of this blog's existence. I have included links to relevant entries where appropriate. If you were unfamiliar with web development, I would recommend starting with Beginning Web Development.
- Introduction to Cascading Style Sheets
- Discuss a brief history of CSS.
- Describe browser support for CSS.
- Discuss the importance of structure/style separation.
- Diagram the order of CSS influence: inline, embedded and linked.
- Explain basic CSS syntax and write a simple CSS declaration.
- Describe the cascading mechanism and inheritance.
- Discuss media type support in CSS.
- Create an external style sheet.
- Write a comment in a style sheet.
- CSS Color & Units
- Define the four methods by which colour may be defined in CSS.
- Define the five absolute and nine relative units of measurement that can be used in CSS.
- Describe concrete and fluid philosophies of web design and the appropriate units of measurement for each.
- CSS Selection Techniques
- CSS and Images
- Customizing the Appearance of Tables and Lists
- Layout In CSS
Photograph by Flávio, used under a Creative Commons license
Enjoy this piece? I invite you to follow me at twitter.com/dudleystorey to learn more.